FERRING PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
GENERIC NAME : MESALAMINE DELAYED-RELEASE
Composition: Mesalazine / Mesalamine (500mg)
Treatment with Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR
Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR is used in the treatment of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
Self Care Tips :
- Do not take the medicine if you are allergic to mesalazine, to any other content in the medicine, aspirin and other salicylate drugs.
- Do not take mesalazine if you have severe kidney or liver problems, blood disorders or uncontrolled bleeding.
- Do not take mesalazine if you have stomach or bowel ulcers or a history of bleeding ulcers, glucose-galactose mala absorption, Lapp-lactase deficiency or galactose intolerance.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of patients with liver, kidney or lung disease (asthma).
The patient must take certain measures before and while using Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PRto ensure proper treatment and avoid any unreasonable scenario. These include :-
- Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.
- Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
- Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR is probably safe to use during lactation. Limited human data suggests that the drug does not represent a significant risk to the baby.
If you are taking Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR, monitor the baby for diarrhea.
- Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR does not usually affect your ability to drive.
- Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
- Use of Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR is not recommended in patients with severe kidney disease.
- Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR should be used with caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment of Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
Some of the side effects are :-
How Pentasa Tablet PR works
Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR is an aminosalicylate. It works by suppressing the production of chemical messengers (prostaglandins) that cause inflammation (swelling) in the intestines. This reduces ulceration, bleeding and painful symptoms, and prevents future flare-ups of the disease.
How to use Pentasa Tablet PR
Use it as advised by your doctor or check the label for directions before use. Pentasa 500 mg Tablet PR is to be taken with food.